Saturday, June 27, 2009

I Should Know By Now...

Many times I'll see cute things at a store and think to myself "I could make that! It would be easy and would cost 1/4 of the price it's sold for."...

A pretty penny and many hours later, I understand why these store people charge so much. It's a lot of work to be crafty! Don't get me wrong, I always have fun trying to recreate the things I see, but you think I would have learned by now that it's not as easy as it looks!

Take, for instance, the bottle cap necklace. I saw the girls in my class wearing these often, so my former student Riley and I attempted to make them together this week.

We like the way they turned out! Riley did most of the work. I just poured in acrylic resin, which is one of the most awkward craft items I've tried to work with. The mixture has to be just right or it ends up having a life of it's own. It actually corroded one of the cups we used; and at one point, it turned into a glob that I thought might jump out of its container.

We also made fun stone necklaces like the ones below - these are my favorite! They are easy and inexpensive!

So lesson (maybe) learned. Next time, when I walk through a super cute craft store, perhaps I'll remember the previous 50 times I've tried to recreate an item I've seen. And maybe I'll spend the $10 on it and save myself some money and some time...or maybe not. :)

1 comment:

  1. how cute!... after my daughter's Wedding in August, I will definately have to try this...enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete