Thursday, January 6, 2011

Reason #387 Why I Love My Job

Earlier this morning, I had the following (paraphrased) conversation with two of my 3rd grade students. We'll call the girl student "G" and the boy student "B".

G: Miss Cunningham, B is staring at me from across the room and I can't concentrate on my math facts.

[I look over and see B staring pointedly in that general direction]

Me: Okay, B - come here, please. [B comes obediently] B, what is going on?

B: [Deep breath]...Well, yesterday when you let us practice our math facts with these math cards, I didn't know we could keep them until you told us we could later, so I put them back in your box...I had named mine Kimosabe, and so when you said we could keep them I went to go get them and they weren't there so I had to get some different ones...I figured out G had them and I really want Kimosabe back. So I'm staring at her.

[Thoughts running through my mind...You named your math flash cards Kimosabe? That's awesome!...Seriously. That's awesome.]

Me: Okay, B - are you going to be okay with the cards you ended up with?

B: Yes.

Me: You're sure?

B: Yes.

Me: Then will you stop staring at G while she works? You're kind of creeping her out.

B: Yes.

Me: Thank you.

[Children scamper off, and my day...Has. Been. Made.]

1 comment:

  1. Ummm, how did we not talk about this at dinner on Friday night??? It is AWESOME!! :)

    ReplyDelete