Monday, July 27, 2009

It's Like Riding a Bike

So the phrase "It's like riding a bike - you never forget" is actually somewhat true. This weekend I rode a bike for the first time in more than 15 years! I was terrified and thought I might die when I had to practice on the street in front of my brother's house. If you'll notice, there are children - no older than 8 - in the background of my cherished picture below. There were at least 4 of them playing in the street, riding their bikes cheerfully like it was no big deal. I had to take my practice run in front of them, wobbling all over the street with a look of panic on my face. Embarrassing? Yes.


My brother Brad took me on an 11.7 (I will NOT leave out that .7) round trip ride to a Farmers Market in Colorado, and it was a great experience! I loved the mountain view, the brisk air, and the speed that you gain on a bicycle. Within a couple hours, we biked to the market, where we shopped and enjoyed a tasty tamale lunch before biking back home. And I didn't hurt myself OR the bicycle! :) I was amazed...it's incredible how the Lord created our minds and brings even the most long-lost skills to the surface...even after 15 years.

I never knew exercise could be enjoyable! Don't get me wrong, by the last mile or two I was barely making it up hills. It was challenging...but more enjoyable than painful, which is always good, right? Maybe I'll take up biking in Dallas. Although it's probably different biking in the 100 degree heat with the Dallas skyline as the backdrop. Not quite the same.

1 comment:

  1. so love reading your blog! You remind me of my daughter. If you would like, check out her blog. www.azphalt.blogspot.com

    . . .and actually your blog name inspired my blog name!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete