Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Throwing Myself on the Gospel of Grace

Well, hello.

Today I came across this blurb while reading my BSF notes, and the Holy Spirit - once again - revealed an issue in my heart I just can't seem to shake.

On what basis are you trusting God to save you? Your behavior or His faithfulness to His promises in Christ? Could it be that you are trying to "self-manage" your sins rather than throwing yourself on the gospel of grace through trust in Jesus Christ?

Why is it that I continue to think I can handle things myself? That I can manage my issues - my anxiety, selfish desires, impatience, unbelief, [fill in the blank with whatever here]?

This is why it's so important to preach the gospel to myself each day. To throw myself on the gospel of grace through trust in Jesus Christ. So yes: confess and repent. But don't forget to return to the cross; remembering that He has covered my sin, He has saved me from its bondage, and He works in me to change my heart in order to reflect His more and more each day.

Behavior modification? I will fail. Heart change belongs to Him, and He is my only hope. Lord, help me to remember to walk in the freedom that comes from knowing You.

Listened to a great sermon today, too. :) I love Spring Break.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that Erin, I really...really needed that tonight! God is teaching me something along the same vein. There is sin in my life that I want so badly to kick and conquer...but my WILL to do so is just not enough! I started re-reading The Cross-Centered Life by Mahaney and it's been so very refreshing to remember to preach the gospel to myself and what that really means. ANY victory over sin is what HE did on the cross. It is nailed there and I bear it no more! Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, oh my soul!! So, thanks for this timely reminder...and the Spirit's nudging once again to throw myself at the foot of the cross rather than buck up and do better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete