Thursday, March 11, 2010

Israel

I'm back from Israel! And I LOVED it. What a blessing to be able to walk where Jesus walked! Already Scripture is coming alive in a new way.

I only took 336 pictures while I was there. Below are 10 :). There are more on my Facebook page if you're interested. Enjoy!

February 24: I know this is a cheap shot, but it was nearing the end of the day and I didn't have many options for pictures. :) Ergo, this oh-so-exciting one.

February 25: This was dinner the first night we were in Tiberias. I kind of took a lot of food pictures because it was all so tasty (and colorful!). Hummus was a staple at every meal, and boy, did I take advantage of that. Hummus is yummus.

February 26: The Sea of Galilee, where Jesus walked on water and calmed the storm. Just gorgeous.

February 27: Qumran, where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found. This place has a really neat story, and this particular cave is where a large number of the scrolls were found.

February 28: The Dead Sea is in the background, and this picture was taken right after we floated in the water. There was a pit of mineral-rich mud for visitors to cover themselves with. We then rinsed off in sulfur-water showers, which smelled like rotten eggs. Ah, the things people do for their skin!

March 1: Camels at Petra. Of all the animals I know about, I think camels are the funniest. Naked mole rats come in a close second.

March 2: The shore of the Red Sea, through which the Lord led the Israelites out of Egypt.

March 3: A view of Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives.

March 4: This was a sign posted near the Garden Tomb, where some speculate Jesus was buried after His crucifixion. There's no way to know for sure where this actually took place, but Romans 1:4 is true nonetheless. And because of Jesus' perfect life, death, and resurrection, sinners can be reconciled to a holy God. Praise God for the gift of His Son. He is risen indeed!

March 5: Caesarea, mentioned several times in Acts. A city originally built by Herod the Great.

March 6: The day I got back to Texas. Cousin Becca dropped me off at about 2:00, and the next 7 hours were a bit rough. All I wanted to do was sleep, but I knew that would not help the jet-lag situation. Hence the large caffeinated beverage. I made it to about 8:45 before crawling into bed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I am so jealous! The trip sounds like it was amazing!!! Great pictures~

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, 3 comments:

    - I am now going to begin saying "hummus is yummus" a lot. Because it's funny.
    - The pic of your feet at the Red Sea is a favorite. I just finished discussing Exodus with some of the college girls - can't believe you've actually been there to see where it all took place!!
    - Also love the picture of the whole city - for some reason, I thought it would look more modern than it does. Glad to be wrong!

    Second, one question:
    - Do you really know things about naked mole rats?

    ReplyDelete